This learning resource is for teachers and students of all levels and ages who are looking to expand their knowledge and understanding of musical performance. Resources are continually being added to this page, which will serve as an index of what is available.
All resources are broken down by type and then suggested age range. However, our musician videos may be of interest to other age ranges. Please feel to use whatever might be of use for your students.
Be sure to check our YouTube Channel regularly — new Virtual Classroom content created by the musicians of the Omaha Symphony is being added weekly!
If you do use the resources in your online learning or you are looking for something specific, we’d love to hear from you! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orchestra Musician Videos
Meet the Harp
PK – 3rd Grade: Principal Harpist Mary Bircher talks to us about the harp and gives us an up-close view! This video talks about what a harp is made out of, what the pedals do, and some extended techniques (glissandos, harmonics, etc).
Cello – Basic Posture Tips and Techniques
Upper Middle– High School: Omaha Symphony Cellist, Samuel Pierce-Ruhland talks through basic posture, bow holds, and more in this delightful video that is especially useful to cellists.
More Instrument-Specific Videos:
- Meet the String Family with Ann Beebe (PK-3rd Grade)
- Meet the Trumpet with Craig Bircher (PK-3rd Grade)
- Meet the Piano with Christi Zuniga (PK-3rd Grade)
- Meet the Percussion Family with Jack Rago (PK-3rd Grade)
- Get Ready to Play the Violin with Kevin Tompkins (Upper Elementary-Middle School)
Double Tonguing – Flute and Brass Players
Upper Middle – High School: Principal Flute, Maria Harding gives and overview and a few practice techniques on double tonguing on the flute. Technique may also apply to brass players.
Metronome Practice – Percussion and more
Upper Middle – High School: Principal Percussionist, Rob O’Brien gives examples on how to internalize tempos using metronome practice. Helpful for percussionists and any student looking to maintain steady tempos!
Practice Tips and Musicianship:
Practice Tip – The 2-Minute Rule
Any Age: Omaha Symphony Bassist and VP of Artistic, Dani Meier (and cat assistant, Harley) talks to you about staying motivated to practice and how a simple 2-minute rule will go a long way to help you continue your practice routine.
Tour a Professional Musician’s Practice Room
Middle School to Adult: Flutist Lisa Meyerhofer is based in New York, but regularly gigs with orchestras around the country – including the Omaha Symphony. Check out this special look at her practice room set up and how she keeps organized with all of her different programs.
More Practice Tips and Musicianship Videos:
- Dynamic Warm-Ups for String Players with Ann Beebe (Middle School-Adult)
- Helpful Technology for the Gigging Musician with Lisa Meyerhofer (High School-Adult)
- Advice to My Eleventh-Grade Self with Susanna Perry Gilmore (High School)
- Practice Backwards with Dani Meier (Middle School-Adult)
- String Instrument Repair with Judy Divis (High School Students and Directors)
- Tips for Addressing Performance Anxiety Part One with Rob O'Brien (High School-Adult)
- Tips for Addressing Performance Anxiety Part Two with Rob O'Brien (High School-Adult)
- Tips for Addressing Performance Anxiety Part Three with Rob O'Brien (High School-Adult)
Ian Passmore on Conducting
High School: Associate Conductor, Ian Passmore gives his thoughts of various aspects of music related to conducting.
Omaha Symphony Archive Performances
Any Age: The Omaha Symphony’s YouTube Channel will soon be filled with our digital archives. Feel free to take a look and share any recordings with your students!