Director of Development
The Omaha Symphony Director of Development is a dynamic and innovative strategist responsible for designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising programs, including annual fund, major gifts, endowment, corporate and foundation funding, public funding and government relations, volunteer events, and donor stewardship to achieve contributed income goals for the Omaha Symphony. They work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize tasks effectively, execute projects to the highest level possible, and possess the unique ability to convey excitement about classical music and its value to a community. The Director of Development reports to the President & CEO.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates and executes development plans to achieve both short-term and long-term fundraising goals that utilize best practices in major, annual, and planned gift programs. This includes, but is not limited to, setting goals and strategies, writing case statements, creating giving levels and benefits, developing materials, and identifying and cultivating prospects.
- With the President, prepares and develops strategies and action plans to attain Omaha Symphony goals for annual contributed income and endowment fundraising. Provides support for the President in all phases of development and campaign leadership activities.
- Leads the development department to create annual fund plans for individuals, corporate and foundation prospects, including management of all sponsorship proposals and foundation and government grants. Secures annual fund gifts, sponsorships, and special event underwriting.
- Ensures a successful annual Gala.
- Develops and carries out all major gift fundraising activities, including:
- Strategic plan to achieve goals.
- Development and updating of the case statement.
- Proper identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major prospects.
- Maintains a dynamic portfolio of major gift prospects in all phases of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Maintains close working relationships with members of the Board of Directors, Governing Members, key donors, and community business and foundation leaders and serves as an advocate in the community on behalf of Omaha Symphony.
- Promotes effectiveness of the development team in all aspects of their work including but not limited to:
- Creating and managing systems and procedures to ensure all potential donors are appropriately assigned and effectively managed.
- Implementing effective programs for donor cultivation, donor recognition and stewardship.
- Ensuring full participation in patron loyalty initiatives and patron data management
- Developing policies and procedures for prospect research, maintenance of donor records, and processing of gifts.
- Maintaining a thorough and efficient system for record keeping, documenting all agreements and solicitation plans, and ensuring that master development files and records for major prospects and donors are current and accurate.
- Coordinating and implementing a comprehensive stewardship plan, ensuring that gifts received are used in accordance with the donor’s intent, and providing updates to donors and appropriate acknowledgement and recognition at various gift levels.
- Executing a comprehensive program for volunteers and providing department support to ensure successful volunteer fundraising events.
- Plans and administers strategies to build the planned and deferred giving program.
- Develops and manages department budget.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years professional development or related experience, with experience in a significant leadership role in the development department of a not-for-profit organization.
- Knowledgeable about all aspects of fundraising, including campaign design and execution, and experience in solicitation and securing of major gifts.
- Superb oral and written communication abilities with an ability to speak and write persuasively about the mission, goals, and income needs of the Omaha Symphony.
- Comfort serving as a representative of the Omaha Symphony in the community.
- Ability to create a strategy that will ensure growth in major and endowment gifts.
- Experience and familiarity with annual fund programs, corporate sponsorships and foundation proposals, and grant requests.
- Knowledgeable about prospect research and comfortable utilizing the development tools that are available through technology.
- Superb planning and organizational skills.
- Successful experience in organizing, staffing, and motivating volunteers.
- Familiarity with Omaha and its philanthropic community preferable.
- Maturity, discretion, integrity, high energy, creativity, and cultural sensitivity, to work effectively in a high-profile arts institution.
- Outgoing and people-oriented, with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- In-depth studies of fund-raising practices preferable.
- Directs and supervises the Development department (3 full-time)
- Serves as member of senior management team to develop and implement detailed plans, long-range strategy, and new processes and ventures.
- No physical exertion required.
- Required to sit for long periods of time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but does include Omaha Symphony concerts and events.
- General Office Equipment (Computer, Telephone, Fax, Copier, Printer).
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
- What is your specific interest in this role? Please submit a cover letter for further description.
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Fundraising: 7 years (Preferred)
- Leadership: 7 years (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
If interested apply here: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Omaha-Symphony-2/jobs?jk=bc18428f25462d90&start=0&clearPrefilter=1