Orchestra Stage Manager
The Stage Manager is responsible for proper and efficient management of the Omaha Symphony’s rehearsal and performance sites and equipment. This position serves as the Orchestra Stage Manager for all Omaha Symphony productions and rehearsals.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Transports all equipment necessary to each Omaha Symphony service site including run-outs and tours. Operates straight truck for transporting equipment.
- Coordinates with Artistic Administration, Operations Department, and musicians regarding special needs for set-up. Assists in ensuring best possible working conditions for the orchestra in all situations.
- Maintains a working knowledge of musicians’ Collective Bargaining Agreement and how it applies to each site and service type.
- Acts as Audio Engineer for Education services and lecture events as needed.
- Guarantees the proper placement and number of chairs, stands, piano/keyboard, percussion, special instruments, etc. on stage as indicated on the stage plot.
- Ensures that all backstage spaces are equipped with the appropriate amenities (water, coffee service, uncasing tables, etc.)
- Executes the proper and timely placement of percussion instruments on stage as directed by Principal Percussionist and Principal Timpanist.
- Arrives prior to the start of every performance or rehearsal service, as scheduled, to proactively anticipate potential staging concerns (i.e. temperature, lighting, and or safety). Communicates to Manager on Duty (MOD) any concerns that may arise.
- Communicates with the MOD during rehearsals and performances to monitor staging concerns and assist in correcting any problems as they arise.
- Serves as stage manager and ensure the smooth execution of performances. Communicates cues to lighting, sound, and stage crew. Facilitate entrances and exits from stage.
- Assists in directing stagehands to make all required stage moves during a performance or rehearsal service.
- Ensures that backstage facilities are in order including providing tables and chairs as needed, proper lighting, clear and safe pathways, adequate water and coffee service.
- Ensures proper storage of orchestra equipment and instruments.
- Supervises load in and load outs for all OSA services or as directed.
- Coordinates delivery and pickup of any special equipment or instruments.
- Manages truck rental, maintenance needs, and fuel.
- Attends weekly and monthly staff and production team meetings
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications
- Three years’ experience required in management of stage operations, including light, sound, video, and stage designs.
- Experience with orchestra configurations preferred.
- Knowledge of professional lighting and sound equipment. Basic audio engineer experience preferred.
- Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with diverse personalities, including Symphony musicians, other staff, conductors, guest artists, stage crew, and house production staff.
- Ability to effectively manage and communicate to Assistant Stage Manager and stage crew.
- Excellent communication skills and close working knowledge of standard technical terms, lighting terms, sound terms.
- Ability to keep track of all business expense receipts and report them monthly
- Ability to analyze problems, communicate them effectively, and assist in implementing an effective decision.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities, to work independently, and to collaborate on projects.
- Computer proficiency including Word and Excel software
- Flexible schedule with availability of early mornings, evenings and weekends as schedule requires.
- Minimal travel outside of Omaha required.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED required.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, Certifications:
- Nebraska driver’s license required.
- Ability to drive a non-CDL, automatic 26’ straight truck, day and night driving.
- Assistant Stage Manager
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted, up to 75 pounds with help.
- Ability to safely load and unload truck.
- Ability to move near and around delicate instruments and stage equipment.
- Ability to withstand loud music and sound, up to 100dB sustained.
- General Office Equipment (Computer, Telephone, Fax, Copier, Printer).
- If you are interested in this position, please apply on the Omaha Symphony's careers page:
Position Open until filled.