Orchestra Assistant Stage Manager
The Assistant Stage Manager is responsible for assisting the Orchestra Stage Manager with the transportation, safety, and set up of Omaha Symphony equipment, instruments, and musician needs. This position assists with the smooth, professional execution of Omaha Symphony rehearsals and performances.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the transport of all equipment necessary to and from each Omaha Symphony service venue, including mainstage concerts, education services, run-outs and tours.
- Assists with load in and load outs for many OSA services or as scheduled. Will include early mornings, nights and weekends.
- With the operations and artistic administration teams, works with musicians, conductors, and guest artists to assess and implement all stage set up needs. Helps ensure the best possible working conditions for the orchestra at all times.
- May serve as audio engineer for education services and lecture events as needed.
- Assists in the proper transportation and stage placement of chairs, stands, keyboard instruments, percussion, special instruments, etc., as indicated on the stage plot and with the direction of the Orchestra Stage Manager, Principal Percussionist, or Principal Timpanist.
- Ensures that all backstage spaces are equipped with the appropriate amenities (water, coffee service, uncasing tables, chairs), and that all backstage and onstage areas are safe, including ample lighting and clear pathways.
- Arrives prior to the start of every performance or rehearsal service, as scheduled, to proactively anticipate potential staging concerns (i.e. temperature, lighting, and or safety). Communicates concerns to the Orchestra Stage Manager.
- Assists in the proper storage of orchestra equipment and instruments.
- Assists in the coordination of delivery and pickup of any special equipment or instruments.
- Work schedule varies as dictated by the rehearsal/performance schedule. Most weeks don’t exceed 30 hours.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience working with theatrical and/or stage operations, lighting, and/or audio.
- Experience with orchestra configurations preferred.
- Knowledge of professional lighting and sound equipment. Basic audio engineer experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with diverse personalities, including Symphony musicians, other staff, conductors, guest artists, stage crew, and venue production staff.
- Strong working knowledge of standard production, lighting, audio, and instrumental terminology.
- Ability to analyze problems, communicate them effectively, and assist in implementing an effective decision.
- Flexible schedule with availability of early mornings, evenings and weekends as schedule requires.
- Minimal travel outside of Omaha required.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED required.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, Certifications:
- Nebraska driver’s license required.
- A working knowledge of orchestral instruments, specifically percussion preferred.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds unassisted, up to 150 pounds with help.
- Ability to safely load and unload truck.
- Ability to move delicate instruments and stage equipment safely.
- Ability to withstand loud music and sound, up to 100dB sustained.
- General Office Equipment (Computer, Telephone, Fax, Copier, Printer).
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $17.00 - $18.00 per hour
- Retirement plan
- 4 hour shift
- Evening shift
- Weekends as needed
- stage management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: Multiple locations