Assistant Director of Operations & Production
The Assistant Director of Operations & Production is responsible for ensuring that all concert production elements for all Omaha Symphony performances are of the highest artistic level (this includes MasterWorks, Pops, Family, Symphony Rocks, Symphony Joslyn, After Hours, and any other series concerts; runouts, education, tour, outdoor, digital, and any other scheduled concerts). This position works as an integral part of the operations team and provides leadership for all productions and production-related activities. The Assistant Director of Operations & Production works closely with senior staff to plan, budget and manage expenses, and insure the smooth execution of all Omaha Symphony productions and events.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the Operations team in all components of concert and event production. Ensures that all concerts, rehearsals, and events are executed to the highest possible standard.
- Serves as an official management representative at orchestra services and events and as the Concert Manager, as assigned.
- Maintains good working knowledge of CBA and other applicable contracts, ensures that contractual obligations are adhered to, contributes to a comfortable, collaborative, and safe performance environment.
- Reviews artist technical riders for cost effectiveness and feasibility and makes recommendations for negotiation. Assists in the preparation of concert production budgets and financial analyses.
- Communicates with guest artists and production managers through the preliminary advancing and negotiation of all Pops, Rocks, and Movie shows. Works with Operations & Production Manager to ensure that all applicable information is relayed to appropriate production personnel.
- Serves as an Omaha Symphony liaison with all venues including Omaha Performing Arts (OPA) regarding front-of-house communications and day-to-day scheduling and operational issues.
- Ensures that orchestra service schedule complies with terms of CBA. Works with Operations team to prepare, update and manage communication with orchestra regarding season schedules, call sheets, and schedule changes.
- Manages production expenses, seeks cost-saving opportunities when possible.
- Coordinates Runouts and Tours as needed. Travels with Omaha Symphony productions to act as Tour and/or Company Manager as assigned.
- Serves as a member of the Artistic Operations team, participating in meetings as required, leading and facilitating meetings and departmental communication.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Appreciation for, understanding of, and sensitivity to the needs of professional musicians, and conductors.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, planning and organizational skills, and supervisory leadership skills to include motivating others and serving as a role model for junior staff.
- Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with diverse personalities, including Symphony musicians, other staff, conductors, guest performers, and production personnel.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents such as legal contracts with artists, the Collective Bargaining Agreement and other union contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively construct and monitor a budget and project expenses for multiple complex programs with accuracy and timeliness.
- Must excel at planning, organizing, delegating, and motivating.
- Ability to work effectively, and with composure, under pressure.
- Strong team player with a positive service orientation and acute attention to detail.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities, to work independently while and to collaborate on projects.
- Computer proficiency including Word, and Excel. Ability to learn new software applications as required for operational effectiveness.
- Evening/weekend hours required.
Minimum Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in music, theatre, or arts production/administration or related field required
- Three years of experience in orchestral management and operations including production management and staff leadership.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, Certifications:
- Production and Operations Manager
- Orchestra Stage Manager
- Operations Coordinator
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Requires the ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- General Office Equipment (Computer, Telephone, Fax, Copier, Printer)
- If you are interested in this position, please apply on the Omaha Symphony's careers page:
Position Open until filled.
Salary Range: $57,000-$60,000